- University of Indonesia, LL.B.(1999)
- LLM, Boston University School of Law, United States (2004)
- Licensed to practice law as an advocate by the Indonesian Bar Association (PERADI)
- Ranked in Band 3 for Corporate/M&A by Chambers Asia-Pacific (2021)
- Market sources describe Eko Basyuni as "a pleasant person who tries to find solutions." – Chambers Asia Pacific 2021
- Named as one of Indonesia's Top 100 Lawyers by Asia Law Business Journal (2018).
- Named as Leading lawyer for Corporate/M&A in Asialaw Leading Lawyers 2018
- Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer" for Project Finance by IFLR (2016)
- Named as a "Recommended Lawyer" by AsiaLaw Profiles (2014 to 2019)
- Named "The deal maker of the year 2017" by Asian Legal Business
- Recommended for Corporate/M&A by Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2016).
- The Indonesian Association of Capital Market Legal Consultants
Eko is an esteemed partner overseeing our dynamic General Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions practice group. With an impressive career trajectory, he became an integral part of AHP in early 2005, marking the continuation of a legal journey initiated in 1999.
Eko's professional odyssey includes a pivotal role as legal counsel with the Indonesian Bank Restructuring Agency (IBRA), a tenure that coincided with the agency's resolute efforts to resurrect the nation's financial services sector post the upheavals of the 1997/98 Asian financial crisis. This formative experience bestowed upon him firsthand insights into the intricate landscape of the banking industry, insights which reverberate profoundly in his advisory capacity at AHP.
Beyond his exceptional prowess in the Mergers & Acquisitions arena, Eko is a stalwart in capital markets, banking & finance, and Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) domains. His acumen spans diverse sectors encompassing mining and energy, Information and Communication Technology (ICT), plantations, banking, oil and gas, retailing, broadcasting, telecommunications, and infrastructure.
Eko's recent endeavors encompass strategic advisories of paramount significance. He masterminded counsel for PT Multimedia Nusantara, a subsidiary of PT Telekomunikasi Indonesia (Persero) Tbk, in its collaborative venture with eBay International AG, orchestrating the operation of a Consumer-to-Consumer (C2C) online marketplace enterprise in Indonesia. Furthermore, he orchestrated guidance for PT Bank Mandiri (Persero) Tbk in its proposed acquisition of an Indonesian shariah-compliant bank, while also steering Kuala Lumpur-based Malayan Banking Bhd (Maybank) in its indirect acquisition of PT Bank Internasional Indonesia Tbk.
Eko's portfolio boasts additional milestone achievements, inclusive of his instrumental role in facilitating both shariah and conventional bond issuances by PT Indosat Tbk. He also spearheaded advisory for the Indonesian subsidiary of the world's premier cement producer, PT Holcim, during a substantial rights issuance. Notably, he extended counsel to a prominent Korean retailer, navigating its proposed acquisition of one of Indonesia's largest hypermarket chains.
Eko epitomizes the fusion of seasoned expertise with contemporary legal nuances, rendering him an invaluable asset within the realm of corporate law. His holistic comprehension of intricate financial systems and his adeptness at navigating multifaceted cross-border transactions position him at the vanguard of legal professionals, consistently enriching the trajectory of AHP and its clientele.
- Assisting a local subsidiary of AICE group in Indonesia based on an annual retainer service basis since 2016. In addition, we are assisting the client on some legal disputes, including a labour dispute.
- Providing legal services to subsidiaries of Shanghai GM Wuling Co., Ltd. on an annual retainer service basis since 2016 (with a focus on contract review, intellectual property, employment and compliance).
- Assisted ANSTEEL Group Corporation with a joint venture project in Indonesia, including preparing the joint venture agreement, providing legal advisory on company governance, conducting legal due diligence and advising on construction issues.
- Represented PT Metamorfosis Ekosistem Indonesia and Wealthtrack Technology Limited on the acquisition of shares in PT Bank Jago Tbk. (previously PT Bank Artos Indonesia Tbk.). Following the acquisition, Bank Jago is transformed into a digital bank and the shareholders will initiate a rights issue process to further increase the capital of Bank Jago to become a BUKU II bank (banks whose core capital ownership is between IDR 1 trillion to IDR 5 trillion). Our roles include advised on the transaction structure, provided comprehensive regulatory analysis, assisting with negotiation, as well as obtaining approval for the acquisition from the Indonesian Financial Services Authority (“OJK”).
- Acted as the Lead counsel to a group of seven state-owned enterprises in its USD 127.8 million investment into PT Fintek Karya Nusantara, the operator of digital transaction platform LinkAja!, which is owned by the subsidiary of one of Indonesia’s largest state-owned telecommunications companies, Telkomsel. The group of SOE investors comprising: PT Danareksa Capital, PT Mandiri Capital Indonesia, PT BNI Sekuritas, PT BRI Ventura, PT Asuransi Jiwasraya (Persero), PT Telekomunikasi Seluler, PT Pertamina Retail, PT Jasa Marga Tollroad Operator, PT Kereta Cepat Indonesia and Taspen. This deal marked the first time that Indonesian SOEs invest directly into the launch of an e-money company. It involved an unprecedented level of synergy between the eight banking and insurance SOEs that were on board.
- Acted as the Indonesian counsel to ITOCHU Techno-Solutions Corporation (“ITOCHU”), a Japanese multinational IT services company, in its IDR 980 billion (USD 69.2 million) acquisition of 70% of shares in PT Nusantara Compnet Integrator and PT Pro Sistimatika Automasi. Our M&A, tax, employment, IP and competition law teams assisted in providing necessary advice on their respective expertise relating to the transaction structure and fulfilment of conditions precedent to accommodate the best interests of both the sellers and the buyer to ensure a successful consummation of the deal. After going through more than a year of implementing process, the transaction is successfully completed.
- Advised a multinational US-based investor, Johnson Controls International Plc, on its investment in PT Nipress Energi Otomotif, which was successfully completed using a complex two-stage investment process. This was also one of very few transactions to be finalised during the transition period between two investment regimes, following the introduction of the Online Single Submission (OSS) system in Indonesia.
- Represented Country Garden Holding Co. Ltd., China’s largest property developer company, in a number of property projects in Indonesia. Our scope of work included advising on the client’s joint venture, assisting on land acquisitions and providing general legal advice.
- Advised Xiaomi Inc., China’s electronics and software company, with respect to establishing its presence in Indonesia and advising on the distribution of its products, including smartphones, in Indonesia.
- Represented PT Bank Mandiri (Persero) Tbk., in a joint venture between the bank and BC Card of South Korea in respect of the establishment a new joint venture company to be the exclusive vehicle for the bank for provision of end-to-end acquiring services for customers in Indonesia.
- May 31, 2022
- April 14, 2022