- LL.B., Indonesia University, Indonesia
- Licensed to practice law as an advocate by the Indonesian Bar Association (PERADI)
- The International Who’s Who of Competition Lawyers (2012 to 2017). RikRik was the first Indonesian to achieve such acknowledgement.
- A Leading Competition Expert in Indonesia by CHAMBERS, London (2017)
- Alumni Award on Social-Politics, Faculty of Law of University of Indonesia (2017)
- One of 40 Heroes of Philanthropy in Asia, FORBES (2017)
- Asia Pacific Commended External Counsels of the Year (2017)
- Board of Patrons: Indonesian Competition Lawyers Association (ICLA)
- Treasurer: ASEAN Competition Institute
- Founder, Chairman, Advisory board, Kinarya Didaktika Foundation, which runs the Cugenang Gifted School for children with special needs The Chief of the Supervisory Board at Perumda Pasar Jaya
- Chairman and co-founder: Indonesian Community for Competition and Consumer
- Member: Antitrust and International Antitrust Section at American Bar Association
- Member: Perkumpulan Penasihat Hukum Persaingan Usaha Indonesia (Perkumpus)
With an extensive career spanning over 30 years in the realm of competition law, Rikrik stands as a seasoned advisor specializing in intricate domains including mergers, cartel investigations, consumer protection, corporate restructuring, dispute resolution, and litigation. His professional journey encompasses pivotal roles in landmark merger clearances within Indonesia, collaborating closely with the Indonesian Competition Authority (KPPU) and international legal counsels on global merger initiatives for renowned multinational corporations such as Lafarge S.A – Holcim, Nokia Corporation – Alcatel Lucent SA, GDF Suez International Power Plc, and BHP Biliton – Potash Corp.
Rikrik's influence extends to his instrumental involvement in the development of Indonesia’s consumer and competition legislations, solidifying his status as a revered authority in these fields. His leadership steered the research committee at the Ministry of Trade in crafting the White Paper that underpinned the Indonesia Trade Act, which subsequently evolved into the prevailing competition law. Notably, he lent his expertise as a consultant for Indonesia’s consumer protection legislation. Notably, Rikrik held the position of Deputy Director of Enforcement at the Indonesian Competition Authority (KPPU), further amplifying his industry influence. His consultancy engagement with a World Bank project tasked with bolstering the KPPU during 2002-2003 underscores his commitment to advancing competition law practices.
Prior to his tenure at Assegaf Hamzah & Partners, Rikrik co-founded the esteemed competition firm, Rizkiyana & Iswanto, a notable entity acknowledged as one of only two antitrust practices in Indonesia categorized as "Elite" by Global Competition Review. Returning to Assegaf Hamzah & Partners, Rikrik recently concluded a year-long special appointment with the Jakarta provincial government. In this capacity, he led the Special Team for Regulatory Harmonization, a pivotal role in aligning Jakarta administration’s legal framework. Moreover, Rikrik held leadership at Pasar Jaya, overseeing the management of 153 traditional markets, each visited by over 2 million individuals daily.
His expertise attracts attention from prominent legal institutions, enterprises, government bodies, and both national and international publications. Entities like the KPPU, the Indonesian National Police, and the web-based legal publisher Hukumonline frequently seek Rikrik’s counsel. His diverse client portfolio spans corporations like Goodyear Tyre, Pfizer-Dexa Medica, Barclay Premier League, Temasek, and Garuda Indonesian, extending to matters heard both in Indonesia and Australia, before the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC).
- Represented PT Yamaha Indonesia Motor Manufacturing as the defendant in a cartel case before the KPPU, during the appeal process before the North Jakarta District Court, and in the cassation process filed with the Supreme Court.
- Represented PT Goodyear Indonesia Tbk following a KPPU investigation into an alleged tyre cartel, by submitting Goodyear’s appeal to the District Court and cassation to the Supreme Court.
- Successfully represented PT Garuda Indonesia (Persero) Tbk. against the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission before the Federal Court at first instance.
- Successfully represented a multinational FMCG company in a monitoring case before KPPU.
- Counsel to a business association in preliminary arguments before the KPPU in relation to allegations of a shipping cartel. Our defenses helped to persuade the KPPU to drop its inquiries.
- Assisted Nokia Corporation to prepare and file the mandatory pot-merger notification of its acquisition of shares in Alcatel-Lucent SA and Comptel Corporation with the KPPU.
- Assisted TechnipFMC plc. in filing a mandatory post-merger notification of its cross-border merger with Technip S.A. with the KPPU.
- Assisted Lafarge S.A. in filing a voluntary pre-merger notification (consultation) of its acquisition of shares in Lafarge S.A. by Holcim Ltd to the KPPU.
- May 31, 2022
- April 14, 2022