- LLB, Padjadjaran University, Indonesia (2009)
- LLM, Leiden University, Netherlands (2017)
- Licensed to practice law as an advocate by the Indonesian Bar Association (PERADI)
- Recognized as a "Rising star lawyer" for Corporate/M&A by Asialaw Profiles (2019).
- Ranked as "Associate to Watch" for TMT by Chambers Asia Pacific (2022)
- Husein, Z.Z., Sirie, M.I., & Rahman, A.A., "Digital Business in Indonesia: Overview", https://uk.practicallaw.thomsonreuters.com, 2018.
- Sirie, M.I., "The Mandatory Designation of a Data Protection Officer in Indonesia's Upcoming Personal Data Protection Law", Padjajaran Journal of Law, 2018.
- Sirie, M.I., "Personal Data Protection Law: The New ‘Gold Mine' for Lawyers in Indonesia", http://www.hukumonline.com, 2017. · Sirie, M.I., "Understanding the ‘Right to be Forgotten'", http://www.hukumonline.com, 2017.
- Budiarti, E.R., Sirie, M.I., & Septiana, A.D., "Joint Ventures in Indonesia: Overview", https://uk.practicallaw.thomsonreuters.com, 2015.
- Budiarti, E.R., Sirie, M.I., & Septiana, A.D., "Commercialisation of Healthcare in Indonesia: Overview", https://uk.practicallaw.thomsonreuters.com, 2015.
- Budiarti, E.R., Sirie, M.I., & Septiana, A.D., "Distribution and Marketing of Drugs in Indonesia: Overview", https://uk.practicallaw.thomsonreuters.com, 2015
- "Sirie, M.I., "From Act to Action: Strategies to Implement the Personal Data Protection Law", http://www.hukumonline.com, 2020."
In addition to his experience in M&A transactions, Iqsan has an expertise in the technology, media and telecommunications (TMT) sector and has regularly advised on technology transactions and Indonesian laws and regulations issues related to new technologies and business models, such as over-the-top, blockchain, cryptocurrency, cloud computing, big data, IoT and artificial intelligence, for both domestic and international clients.
He also has a particular interest in data protection and privacy issues and has studied and written his master's thesis on the same subject matter in Leiden, the Netherlands. During his study in the Netherlands, he had the opportunity to briefly work in a global pharmaceutical company where he handled the Benelux entities' compliance with the EU's General Data Protection Regulation. Recently, he was seconded to one of Indonesia's unicorns to assist their compliance with the Indonesian data protection and privacy laws and regulations.
Iqsan commenced his career as an editor-in-chief of the English-language service of www.hukumonline.com, Indonesia's best-known legal database and online legal publisher. His educational experience includes a year at Cambridge, England, where he studied legal English and literature. He was also an active participant in mooting competitions and named as one of the top five speakers in Indonesian rounds of the Philip C. Jessup International Moot Court Competition.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented Gojek in relation to its joint venture with one of the largest Indonesian automotive groups (2019).
- Represented Go-Ventures in relation to the investment in an Indonesian company providing online gold trading services (2019).
- Represented Elixir Capital in relation to the merger of one of its portfolio companies in Indonesia with several other Indonesian companies with the aim to become the largest influencer platform and network in Indonesia (2019).
- Represented Gojek in relation to its investment in an Indonesian e-commerce joint venture of one of the Chinese e-commerce giants (2018).
- Represented Elixir Capital in relation to its investment in Indonesia’s first culinary-focused multi-channel network, Kokiku (2016).
- Represented PT XL Axiata Tbk. in the sale of telecommunication towers to PT Solusi Tunas Pratama Tbk (2014).
- Represented Wilmar International Ltd. in the proposed acquisition of a palm plantation subsidiary of Noble Group Ltd. in Indonesia (2013).
- Represented PT XL Axiata Tbk. in the acquisition of PT AXIS Telekom Indonesia, a telecommunication company in Indonesia (2013).
- Represented JTB Pte Ltd in the acquisition of PT Bali Para, a Bali-based travel agency company (2013).
Technology, Media &Telecommunications
- Advised an Indonesian shipping company in relation to its proposed business to launch an online platform for cargo owners and ship owners to carry out shipping transactions (ongoing).
- Represented Circles Asia Pte Ltd. in relation to its proposed business expansion into the Indonesian market (ongoing).
- Advised an Indonesian securities company in relation to its online securities trading mobile application (2019).
- Represented one of Indonesia’s unicorns in relation to compliance of its personal data processing with the Indonesian personal data protection and privacy laws and regulations (2018).
- Advised Facebook Singapore Pte Ltd in relation to the take down request by the Indonesian Government of certain Facebook and Instagram posts and accounts (2018).
- Advised Stubhub in relation to ticketing requirements under Indonesian laws and regulations (2018).
- Advised Gamefield Hong Kong Limited in relation to the launching of Game.ly into the Indonesian market (2018).
- Advised Xiaomi Inc. in relation to the Indonesian data localisation requirement (2018).
- Advised Zalora in relation to compliance of its data protection and privacy documentation with the Indonesian laws and regulations (2018).
- Advised PT Sephora Indonesia in relation to certain matters pertaining to the Indonesian laws and regulations on data protection and privacy (2018).
- Advised Astro Group in relation to its partnership with PT XL Axiata for the launching of Tribe in Indonesia, a subscription-based OTT service (2016).
- Advised HOOQ Digital Pte Ltd in relation to its business expansion into the Indonesian market (2015).
News & Insights
- November 6, 2023
- October 31, 2023